think that I shall never see,
A poem lovely as a tree"
So begins the famous poem by Joyce Kilmer.
Trees are essential to the lifeblood of the world. Roots hold the soil so erosion is mitigated. They are home to birds, squirrels and many other of nature’s creatures. They bear fruit and in the fall the colors enhance our lives.
Trees can also be looming, ominous, and, in cases of stormy weather, dangerous. They are integral to forests and jungles. They stand alone on a hillside creating lovely shadows; shade a child on a hot day; are sturdy posts to tie up the pet dog, hold a hammock off the ground. Remember the lost art of the backyard laundry line.
Send us your images of trees as you experience them – forests, single trees, branches, roots….
EXHIBITION AND AWARDS:
Grand Prize: One photographer will receive $750. The image will be part of the New York gallery show, the NYC4PA Online Gallery and the exhibition catalog. It will be featured on the home page of NYC4PA website.
· First Prizes: 3 photographers will each receive $300. Their images will be exhibited in the New York Gallery show, the NYC4PA Online Gallery and in the exhibition catalog.
· Second Prizes: 3 photographers will each receive $250. Their images will be exhibited in the New York Gallery show, the NYC4PA Online Gallery and in the exhibition catalog.
· Third Prizes: 3 photographers will each receive $200. Their images will be exhibited in the New York Gallery show, the NYC4PA Online Gallery and in the exhibition catalog.
· Jurors’ Selections: 15 additional images will be exhibited in the New York Gallery show, the NYC4PA Online Gallery and in the exhibition catalog.
· Honorable Mention: 20 additional images will be exhibited in the Online Gallery and listed in the exhibition catalog.
*All Prize Winners, Juror Selections and Honorable Mentions will receive an NYC4PA certificate.
This Call for Entries is open worldwide to both amateur and professional photographers. NYC4PA invites photographers working in all mediums, styles and schools of thought to participate. Experimental and mixed techniques are welcome. Only 2-D work is eligible.
The entry fee is $35 for the first three images. Additional images may be submitted for $10 each. There is no limit to the number of images submitted.
Prepare your images as JPG, TIF, or PNG files not greater than 2MB. The longest side should be between 800 and 1,280 pixels. Then please go to: https://client.smarterentry.com/nyc4pa
PLEASE NOTE – IMAGES SELECTED FOR A PRIZE IN A PREVIOUS NYC4PA CALL FOR ENTRY ARE NOT ELIGIBLE. IF THEY ARE SUBMITTED AND SELECTED BY THE JUROR THEY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. IMAGES PREVIOUSLY SUBMITTED THAT WERE NOT SELECTED FOR A PRIZE MAY BE RESUBMITTED AT ANY TIME.
Traer ScottTraer Scott is an award winning fine art and commercial photographer and author of six books including Nocturne: Creatures of the Night (Princeton Architectural Press, 2014) and her newest release Finding Home; Shelter Dogs and Their Stories (Princeton Architectural Press, Fall 2015). Her work is exhibited around the world and has been featured in National Geographic, Life, Vogue, People, O, on the NY Times Lens Blog, Behold and dozens of other national and international print and online publications. Traer had her first solo museum show Natural History at the University of Maine Museum of Art in 2015. She was the recipient of the 2010 Rhode Island State Council for the Arts Photography Fellowship Grant and the 2008 Helen Woodward Humane Award for animal welfare activism. She lives in Providence, Rhode Island with her husband, daughter and adopted dogs.